Saturday, June 23, 2012

1941 RCA Victrola


I love old things. I love how intricate and mechanical old things are. Ever since I was a kid I have loved to tear things apart, see how they work, and put them back together. I love to collect old things, I have a collection of old typewriters, desk fans, and a lot of old furniture. I have been meaning to start a blog showing all my restoration projects I have done over the past few years. There have been many amazing pieces I have been able to restore including an antique wardrobe, an antique claw foot drop leaf table, nightstands, and a dresser. I have also restored a 1986 Yamaha Riva scooter, and a 1961 Coleman Lantern.

This is a 1941 RCA Victrola. I picked this up today from the Deseret Industries on 7th South in Salt Lake. The ask price was $50 and I talked the store manager down to $25. The wood on this piece is gorgeous. From what I have read on them they are made out of mahogany. The wood is in really good condition, other then there is one piece of wood broken out on the front door that I will have to fill. My original intentions were to refinish it, gut the insides and build my own stereo in it, but when I cut the power cord off an old vacuum and wired it up the lights all lit up on it. I can't get the radio to work, but I think I am going to put some work into it and see if I can get it running. 

Notice that the light behind the tuning dials is lit up.

The insides. I love the old Magic Loop Antenna. In the top left you can see the main unit, there are 9 vacuum tubes in this radio that when you turn it on they all light up and glow, really cool stuff. There are 2 vacuum tubes missing, which I think is why it is not working. I am going to do some research into how vacuum tubes work and get some replacements here in town if they aren't too pricey.

 1941 Anniversary Model

 This logo is under the lid to access the turntable. Because I love this logo so much I think I am just going to keep the underside of the lid original. It has some scuffs on the edges but overall it was protected and the finish is really nice.

The dials are amazing. I love that there are international tuning frequencies listed.



1 comment:

  1. Hi...I just received one of these from a friend for free just to get rid of it...j can recieve static from the radio but something is wrkng with the record player...i believe it might be the needle. Ive been debating on restoring it as if i do would want to go about it the right way. Did you ever finish this piece? I would love to see how it turned out and notes on how you did it all.

    ReplyDelete