Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Typewriter Desk

This is my latest project. I have been working on this typewriter desk for the last few months. I found it at the Deseret Industries on 7th South in Salt Lake City. I was able to swindle this little desk away for $20. 




The thing I love about this desk is how mechanical it is. There are drawers, pull out tables, lift tops, and a drop down typewriter platform.



Initially it was made to store your typewriter. You attach your typewriter to the platform that drops down into the desk. Because early typewriters were very tall you needed a large space to be able to store them.  




Because of deep gouging to the surface and really rough areas of this piece I started with 100 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 220 grit.   


I bought a detail sander that truly was priceless. It enabled me to avoid hand sanding every corner where the orbital wouldn't fit, and there were a ton on this piece (a few are shown below). There was still a ton of hand sanding, and that by far is my least favorite part of refinishing. 




Because of the way the platform slides down at a 45 degree angle when stored and pulled up level when in use there was a lot of damage and wear to these rails. I ended up removing all the rails and rebuilt them. While they were off I also took the opportunity to use my random orbit sander instead of hand sanding. 



Applying stain is my favorite part of any project. It is amazing to me how you can bring wood back to life. I am always excited and nervous to see how different wood takes the stain. The stain I used on the majority of this piece was kona brown by Rustoleum.



I am very pleased with the final result. This piece is actually very similar to the wardrobe I did a few years ago. The three wood panels across the top match the wardrobe almost exactly. Before I sanded the stain, dirt, and years of wear off those panels I did not realize it was the same marbled-knotty-wood.






8 comments:

  1. Nice Job! I have an identical unit in my garage and was wandering around the web to see if I can determine its worth. Your beautiful restoration makes me reconsider if maybe I can find a spot in the house for it (both where it makes sense and fits!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finishing up a restoration of an identical typewriter desk. What methods did you use to preserve the original tag/label on the inner desk top? I've put off touching the top pieces until now because of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finishing up a restoration of an identical typewriter desk. What methods did you use to preserve the original tag/label on the inner desk top? I've put off touching the top pieces until now because of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finishing up a restoration of an identical typewriter desk. What methods did you use to preserve the original tag/label on the inner desk top? I've put off touching the top pieces until now because of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, I was able to steam the label off very easily. The adhesive was very old and didn't put up too much resistance. I then just used some adhesive to re-attach.

    Best of luck,

    Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just got practically the same desk myself recently and was looking for a company label. Did you see one on yours or do you know anything if it's history?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought one of these in great condition...for $6!!! At a Goodwill!!! What can you tell me about it? Maker? Time period?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought one of these in great condition...for $6!!! At a Goodwill!!! What can you tell me about it? Maker? Time period?

    ReplyDelete